Hey, Follow Me

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

social media sabbatical

Photo Credit:Artifact Uprising

So lent technically starts March 5th, but sometimes you just need to do things before then with the same intent.  A week or two ago, I knew the Lord was calling me to give up social media. I've never been good at keeping Lent commitments. But at the same time, I knew I needed to be obedient in this. Because how in the world did we ever live before smart phones could enable us to share our every thought, justify our desire for approval, and keep us all so interconnected with the click of a button?!

Photo Credit: Resolute Woman tumblr
I long for a break from my phone. In some ways, giving up facebook would be too easy...it already gets on my nerves as is. We have a love-hate relationship.  I love keeping in contact with people.  I hate that it brings out the worst in people.  I've decided to take a break from facebook, instagram, and pinterest.  Hold the phone.  It's gonna be difficult because I've become so accustomed to using those 3 things to filling any time void in my life. I've noticed I tend to let my phone be the last thing I check at night and the first thing I check in the morning.  This must change.  Looking forward to growing closer to the Lord during this time and also to my dear friends and family.

Goals during my time away:

  1.  more intentional prayer and bible study
  2. being all there with those I love (not with my face ever glued to my phone screen)
  3. intentional handwritten correspondence
  4.  a tidier home
  5. more crafting

They're simple goals, but I look forward to achieving them.  I will be checking my email a few times a day and continuing to weekly blog.  Would love to keep in touch during this time!  There's no telling how many engagements and pregnancy announcements I'm gonna miss doing this. . . so text me, dear friends, if one of these exciting life events happens to you!  

Alas, I've asked Shea to change all the passwords (&deactivating fbook) and not tell me what they are until after Easter. Within the next 48 hours, I will be taking the plunge.  Just wanted to give you all a heads up!

Photo Credit: Plum Pretty Sugar Blog

Don't worry..you can keep up with me via email and this blog here. You can subscribe via email if you'd rather.  After Easter, I will begin posting my updates on facebook again.  Who knows though?  I may discover life is so much better without it.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment