Hey, Follow Me

Sunday, November 1, 2015

whole 30 :: HALFWAY THERE




So many of you have asked me about Whole30 recently and I feel like it warranted a blog post to explain it all. It is TRULY amazing what you'll try when your choices are so limited. I'm so thankful for trying new things and finding that I love them.

Things I've learned about myself:

1) I can say no. - I never thought it would be easy. Strangely though, once I committed to this, I've said no a lot and often times it isn't hard. I just remind myself of my purpose for doing this.

2) I always have a choice. - I never have to feel obligated to eat something just because it is there. No more eating to eat or because its convenient or social.

A photo posted by Emilee (@thebirdandthebicycle) on
3) Eating out is POSSIBLE. Hard, but possible. Last weekend, we went to Pizza King, the best pizza around and I said no to pizza. I ate my salad with homemade dressing (I brought it in a small mason jar) and it was so hard. But I have found that I can eat compliant at restaurants we frequent (ie: bunless burger, fajita meat w/ veggies, grilled chicken & steamed veggies)

4) Sugar is EVERYWHERE. Oh my lanta! I just didn't realize this before.  Definitely aware of what goes in my body now. So much sugar. I recommend watching "Fed Up" on Netflix. It is truly eye-opening to the sugar epidemic.

5) Surprisingly, I like black coffee and unsweet tea. Its also amazing what you will try when its your choice. I hated coconut milk in coffee, so that wasn't going to work. But I like it black. I'm so shocked by this.

6) I don't need to try TOO MUCH new. As in new recipes... Last week, I did that and ended up making things I hated. I need to rely on faithful good recipes and try 1-2 new ones a week.

Recipes I've loved on this journey:

-our spaghetti is compliant (i just swap noodles for spaghetti squash)
-paleo chili (so so so good)
-pulled pork carnitas (slow cooker//from the book)
-sweet potato hash
-roasted veggies (seasoned with mrs. dash)

7) This book is SUPER helpful. I refer to it all the time and it has great recipes too.


8) The DREAMS are real. On the website and in the book, they give you a timeline of what you may experience and days 12-15 are dreams about non-compliant food. I've dreamed that I've eaten a cookie and had to start over. Last night, I dreamed about milk and cereal. It's crazy, y'all!

You'll hear back from me once I finish this round and start reintroducing foods into my diet to see how they make me feel. Overall, this is the best thing I could've done for myself. I only wish I had challenged myself sooner.



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment